Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Suburbs Quilt

This quilt is 100% inspired by this quilt designed by Alison of Cluck Cluck Sew.
I think it's the perfect not-so-Christmasy Christmas quilt.

Used this fabulous starlight mint print from Heather Ross and a candy cane stripe for the binding.
You can see the quilting I did in these two pics.  I quilted in the ditch and and then on the diagonal (both ways) in each block.
 Original pattern here.
tree block pattern here

Monday, February 11, 2019

Farmer's wife

I finally finished all my farmer's wife blocks!  I made 80 blocks, so it will finish out at a good capsize.  Looking back, I've been working on these blocks in March of 2015!  That means it's been nearly 4 years...that is blowing my mind.  Time just keeps marching on.
I've been working on sewing blocks together to make the top, hopefully I finish this up soon.  I can't wait to see it together.  Normally I don't gravitate to sampler quilts, but this one was really fun.  Almost makes me want to start another.  :). First I've got to finish all my current projects.

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Even Steven Quilt

I love this quilt!  
(Inspiration found on instagram, here.  Pattern is from Kitchen Table Quilting and is called Even-Steven.)
Another year has flown by and as I looked back on my finished quilts, I'm shocked by how little I finished!  I started plenty, but didn't finish many--hoping to do better this year.  As my kids get older and we get busier, I find myself gravitating toward simple quilts with simple patterns. This quilt pattern was perfect for me. Easy cutting, easy construction.  This would be perfect for a beginner. 
I used stash stash for this quilt, but it would make a fabulous scrap quilt too.

 I quilted straight lines on the diagonal, which worked great...I just regret using dark thread.  I matched it to the green backing and wish I'd used a lighter color.  Next time I'll know better.  :)
Quilt stats:
Finished size: 60"x72"
Pattern: Even-Steven by Kitchen Table Quilting 
front: stash
back: Cotton and Steel Mesa, Stars Hunter
binding: unkown
Batting:  Warm and White

Monday, November 5, 2018

Sweet Baby James

I've had this baby quilt sitting in my dining room for weeks!  If I don't finish it in time to gift it at the baby shower, it feels like it takes me forever to drop it off!

 This quilt is a knock off of this pattern by Then Came June.  I didn't use the pattern, just sewed blocks together in rectangles.  
I bought a couple solids and then used what I had.  

 I had originally planned to use the black and white stripe in the quilt top, but I ended up using it for binding.  Black and white stripes are always a winner when it comes to binding.
 The backing is probably my favorite part.  I love these happy moons.
Quilt stats:
Finished size: 38" x 47"
Pattern: see notes above.  Inspired by this quilt
front: solids from my stash
back: Happy Moons by Art Gallery
binding: timeless treasures stripe
Batting:  Warm and White

Friday, September 28, 2018


I'm still trying to work through my scraps.  I know I've mentioned it before, but I am trying to get rid of all my scraps.  Haha, sounds ambitious-- and it is!  This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to work through strips of scraps.  I made a blue one a couple years ago and like it so much I make a colorful one.  (I explained my method in this post, or send me an email and I'll try to help).
 There's minimal quilting in this one.  I sewed in the ditch along each row horizontally and then vertical lines about every 3 inches. I also added a few horizontal lines on the taller rows.
Binding is scrappy...I used up my leftovers from other quilts.

Quilt stats:
Finished size: 58" x 68"(after washing and drying)
Pattern: none.  (see method here)  
front: scraps
back: April Rhodes--Bound for Art Gallery, Macrame Lace)
binding: scraps
Batting:  Warm and White

Monday, May 7, 2018

kaleidoscope 2.0

This quilt probably looks a familiar.  I made the same pattern here.  Just changed up the colors.  
 It's made up of 64 half square triangles (if I counted correctly) and 8 5in squares.
 To make the half square triangles, I started with 6 inch squares and trimmed to 5.5 inch squares.  Once sewn together they all blocks finish at 5 inches.  I use this method to make half square triangles, but I want to try this one next time.

Quilt stats
Finished size: 40in x 45in
Pattern: half square triangles, see above
Fabric: front-stash ● binding-Dear Stella, Hearts in Raven● backing-Heather Ross, Tiger Lily
Batting:  Warm and White

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Stripes Quilt

I'm almost caught up on all my pre-Christmas sewing.  I have one more quilt to share. I guess that means I need to get busy basting my quilt tops. 

This is a very simple quilt and came together pretty quickly.  I wanted stripes and I wanted to use my solids.  I love how it turned out.
 I've already given this one away, and forgot to measure anything, but I think the stripes are all 2 inches wide.  I wanted to keep them all the same width for some uniformity, but it would probably look pretty cool with varying width stripes.
backing from Cotton and Steel

 I tried almost every print in my stash for binding and finally settled on this light floral print.  Not sure if it's my favorite, but It worked better than anything else I had!  :)
Quilt stats
Finished size: (forgot to measure before I gave it away.  I usually make my throw size quilts around 60"x70")
Pattern: no pattern, just sewed 2.5 inch strips together.
Fabric: front-stash, solids ● binding-not sure name, but it is Art Gallery● backing-Cotton & Steel XOXO chocolate chip
Batting:  Warm and White 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...