Thursday, February 26, 2015

her first quilt

My five year old has been asking for a sewing machine for a while now, and this past Christmas we finally made it happen. 

(For the record, I think she is a little young for it.  I can't plug her into the machine and let her sew, while I do my own thing.  I pretty much sit with her and walk her through almost every seam she sews.  It's tedious, and definitely takes a lot of patience, but I think it is a good thing.  I probably need to spend more time with my kids individually, so this is a start.)
But, we finished her first quilt and she is so proud of herself.  She told me that I no longer need to make quilts for her, she can make them herself.  
She really only made the quilt top, but she feels like she did the whole thing herself.  I let her pick whatever fabric she wanted...(this is such a hard thing to do.  I soooooo badly want to give suggestions, but I try to keep my opinions to myself).  Of course kids pick the cute fabrics, and what appeals to them at that very moment (not what necessarily matches), and we end up with a quilt salad--a little bit of everything.  And it ends up looking great!  
We (I) cut the squares out at 15inches (the biggest square ruler I have), so we could make a quilt that was big enough but not completely overwhelming for her.  She sewed the whole top together in one sitting!  It was perfect for her.  I think if she had to walk away from it, she might've become discouraged or lost interest.
 She picked the backing too.  Purple and red.  Red=her favorite color and purple=her brothers favorite color.  I was so happy to use up that purple fabric.  I bought it to line a halloween witch cape for my daughter, but she wanted nothing to do with a cape after I had already purchased the fabric, of course.  I don't know if I'd have ever used it otherwise.  It's really bright.
 For the binding, she wanted scrappy.  (I don't know when I first started sewing the remains of my bindings together to make scrappy binding, but it's such a great way to make scrappy binding, and it's perpetually...virtually never ends.)  I think it adds to the quilt salad perfectly.  

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! And even with the giant squares, I'm so impressed she sewed it all in one sitting. Mine is 7 and is ready to walk away from the machine after one seam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one totally amazing quilt. I love all the fabric your little girl chose and how impressive that she did all the piecing in one sitting. She's a star !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is adorable! And so is her quilt! Would love to see a picture of the whole quilt to see the fabrics she picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just wonderful! I'm sure it gets tiresome having to do it with her completely right now, but wow - what a relationship builder!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful. My 6 year old really wants her own sewing machine too. What kind did you get? Also, your quilting looks so nice. How do you quilt it so that there are no puckers when one line crosses the other? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hello kitty Janome. Cheapest place I found it was overstock. I spray baste and use a walking foot. It's probably the walking foot that makes the biggest difference (I quilted it on my nicer machine, not the hello kitty mahine).

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful quilt that will be a beautiful reminder of a wonderful experience for your daughter. You did such a good job of supporting her to make something. What a great expample of nurturing parenting this quilt project is. I have a three year old and this post is really inspiring to me. And I love the big loose quilting. It looks like such a cuddly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with this and so excited for your daughter.
    Renragjd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous. Her choice of fabrics works and it looks great. What a great time for mum and daughter and I can see many more sessions ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a beautiful quilt and what a beautiful story of its making!! What size seam did you get your daughter to aim for? 1/4 inch, or 1/2 inch? Thinking about how to do this with my daughter too. Many thanks, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's i between 1/4 and 1/2. We followed along the foot on her machine (definitely not a 1/4 foot).

      Delete
  10. Firstly may I say I have a 4 year old daughter and I cannot imagine how much patience it took to help your little girl sew her first quilt! (Well maybe I can imagine and that's why I am in awe of you!). If you're like me, when she said you wont need to sew another quilt for her you were a bit gutted! (ie disappointed, to be 'gutted' might be a British expression, I'm not too sure).I'm quite inspired that you are teaching her to sew though! I often wonder how old they have to be to get into crochet (my other hobby). x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, she did a great job! Amazing that she was able to put the whole top together at her age. She's going to be a sewing expert in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She did a great job! Awesome to think she's is only 5! Wow momma great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sweet! I'm waiting for my son to ask to make a quilt. He's 4 and likes to help me, but so far we've collaborated on a mug rug for him :) Also, I love that you call it quilt salad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so lovely, the quilt, you and your daughter sewing together. Made me think perhaps letting my youngest daughter to have a go☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her. And I can't believe you still have that bike fabric! It's my fave. Cute choice for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT! quilt. She is darling, consider yourself lucky, on all counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good job, Mom! You'll never be sorry for time spent sewing with your daughter! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so cool! Nice of you to turn it into a quilt for her when you could otherwise have spent that time on your own sewing.
    Today I helped my kids sew pillow fronts using charm squares. My seven year old lost interest half way through sewing, but she loved figuring out the layout after selecting her squares. My nine year old really took it seriously and was able to sew quite competently. I'm not about to let her iron her own seams yet but by nine it's easier to step away from the machine for a few minutes while the chain-piecing happens!
    I was apprehensive about sewing with my kids but it's a much nicer way to spend time with them than, say, taking them shopping or to a cafe or watching tv.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...