Thursday, February 19, 2015

economy block quilt

I finished up my economy block quilt earlier this week, and it's been keeping us warm.  The weather turned COLD again this week.

I started making the blocks a year ago, and didn't want to stop (tutorial here).  They are a great scrap buster and pretty much anything goes.  I love that you can highlight those cute prints that we tend to collect.  My quilt ended up being rather large.  Each block is 5 inches square, and my quilt is 14 blocks x 16 blocks.  The quilt finishes at about 70in x 80in.
The backing was a happy surprise, it started out with various blue pieces from my stash (still trying to use my stash up), but I didn't like it.  The blues clashed and it just didn't feel light enough for this quilt top.  I almost went ahead with it anyway, but decided I didn't want to hate this quilt, I really wanted to like it because it has so many fun fabrics on it.  So, I scrapped the blues and went with Sarah Jane (can't go wrong there) and Orange.  I love the backing now and it makes me love the quilt even more.  
Using a border print on the back is a little tricky, especially when you use it on top and bottom.  You can see, I barely made it work...the selvage is pretty much showing.






24 comments:

  1. That is such a cute quilt. Another one for my list of potential scrap quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! What a splendid way to use up all those small squares of precious fabric.
    I like the way you quilted it quite simply and let the pattern and fabrics shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could stare at that all day. Fun I spy too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrappy and happy! It turned out beautifully. That back is awesome, too. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome quilt! Such cute prints. There is so much to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely and fun quilt, makes me happy to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting to see the details! Very beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt! I want to do an Economy Block Quilt soon! Yours just makes me want to do it even more. I just love them! I'm afraid that once I get started, I might not want to do anything else, those blocks just look so addictive, and I'm all about novelty prints! I was looking at the centers of all your blocks, so much fun! Love the back, too! And I know you guys have really been needing that extra warmth, so it's good this one got finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I love that full shot of your Economy Block quilt! It is an inspirational quilt, giving me the push to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! impressive! Lots and lots of tiny bits of fabric and lots of time went into the making of this quilt. you must be so pleased with it. Had to laugh at your selvage showing in the back... that happens to me all the time. I'm trying to squeeze in something that should not, but hey, that is part of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow! I completely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. W O W ! I mean, seriously, WOW! If it looks so good in photos it must look jaw-droppingly amazing in person. Your quilts are so inspiring, just when I've been feeling jaded from seeing too many quilts on Instagram I pop by your blog and i remember why I want to make quilts in the first place. Thank you. I love your blog. I'm going to delete Instagram, go back to just reading the blogs of quilters like you who make me want to drop what I'm doing and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! I love all the fussy cutting and I'm sure it took a lot of time. I also like the idea of using fabric from your stash - bravo. I am in the process of using yarn from my yarn stash knitting and crocheting up a storm. Maybe next year I will tackle my fabric stash..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous quilt and a clever idea to use up all scrap fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Beautiful quilt. I love how scrappy and quilty it is. :) The interplay of colour and light on the top is very wonderful.
    I love the back too.. it would make a great quilt front!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out so cute! Love your colors! This is one of my favorite patterns...and the one I chose for my baby's quilt. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fantastic photos! It looks like the perfect cuddly use and love kind of quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fun quilt. I imagine it could entertain kids for hours looking at the different prints. I was just wondering if you happen to know what the fabric line is that is the little Camembert de Normandie boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Japanese print. Can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/220298703/60cm-23-japanese-cotton-fabric-yuwa-tags

      Delete
  19. I really, really like this quilt! The simplicity of the classic block, the fun scrappy fabric choices. And the back turned out great as well. Very cool all around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...