Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Triplets

I posted a peak at these quilts a couple weeks ago on Instagram, and have finally taken some proper pictures of all three to share here.  One of our good friends here in Houston just had triplets.  There were born 6 weeks early, but all were breathing on their own and all are home now and healthy.  It's such a miracle I got chills when she sent me pics from the hospital.  
All three babies are boys! and I had the hardest time settling on design for three quilts.  Then color and fabric was so hard to choose...  I ended up picking a favorite fabric for the backing and sticking to solids on the front.  I think three girls would've been easier for me than three boys (sorry boy quilts).

Another challenge was trying to keep the design equal on all three.  I didn't want one quilt to be more simple than the others, nor did I want one to seem more complicated.  They needed to "match" without actually matching.  I'm sure I overthought these things too much, I was stumped for several weeks...but in the end, I love them all.
The flag quilt was made using this pattern. ( I modified it a bit, and used sashing between the flags instead of a border around each flag).  I like this one.  I wish I'd made the flags bigger, but that's not a big deal.  I always enjoy a black and white quilt.
for the backing I used a print from cotton and steel, called Stork Nest.  I love the birds, but really love the green color.  It's a muted grass green.
for the triangles quilt, I used a dark green solid from Moda (I can't remember the name).  It has a little bit of blue in it.  I used this triangle ruler, the biggest size triangle you can make.  Cutting them out is a breeze, but sewing triangles together can be a challenge!  Matching up all those points is tricky.  I love the finish, and have mostly forgotten my frustration with points not matching.  

Backing is another print from cotton and steel.  

And finally a cross quilt in blue.  This is such a fast pattern to put together.  I cut my squares at 5 inches.  The blue is an Art Gallery Solid (don't have the name).

This backing fabric is my favorite of all the quilts.  It's adorable.  From Dear Stella, called Forest Dreaming, perfect for a baby quilt.
 And for the binding, stripes for 2 and this print for the 3rd.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful trio. I would agonize about fabrics too. One is tough for me but three. You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts are wonderful! Three at once is a tall order--both for babies and quilts. I'm so glad all three boys were healthy and so close to full term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way these match without being match-y match-y. Such beautiful, clean lines too. The babies with love all that graphic, contrasty goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job of making these three quilts appear to go together without making them all three exactly the same. Those little triplets and their mama are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These three quilts are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome trio of quilts that I am sure will be well loved. Wonderful to hear the triplets are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of them are beautiful, individually and also as a set of three! Love the solid front/ colored back! You need to find out the Kona color of the triangle quilt, it looks so good! These quilts will be cherished I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a mom of multiples (twins in my case) I appreciate the thought you put into your gifts. Coordinating but not matching is my preference for my kiddos. Or at least it was until they got old enough to have opinions of their own! Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure mom and babies will be thrilled. You are an amazing friend. The quilts are all so beautiful! Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  10. These quilts are perfect! I love them, as I'm sure the boys' Mom will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an amazing trio of quilts. I think my favourite is the triangles one! Glad babies are all doing well x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally understand the overthinking part of your project. You certainly nailed it though! All three quilts are just beautiful and they blend so well. That is such a wonderful gift. Glad everyone is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you did a lovely job of quilts that coordinate and belong together without being matchy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is inspirational. I love these quilts and the fabrics you've chosen. What a thoughtful and beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...