Wednesday, April 6, 2016

My Fabric Designs

I was recently given the opportunity to try out a new to me fabric printing company, My Fabric Designs.  My Fabric Designs allows you to design your own custom fabric and print it by the yard.  

I am in no way a designer, but I have purchased and browsed enough fabric to know what I like.  I had no plans to actually design fabric myself, but I thought, why not?  This is the perfect opportunity.   My first batch were the two prints pictured above.  Plus signs and large polka dots.  I knew I wanted to use these as backing fabric, so I kept the design large, but it can be easily scaled down.
 After I gained a little confidence, I decided to draw to fruit.  I made pineapples, strawberries, watermelon and blackberries (although my family all say it looks like grapes).  I love the way the turned out.  They aren't perfect (my fault, not the fabric printer).  I am really impressed with how well the colors printed.  They are true to what I uploaded.  The pineapple, strawberry and watermellon were all made with brush markers(tombow) and pointed pen, the blackberries are watercolor, and the variations and shading that occur with water color came through so well on the fabric.  

I do not have any fancy computer programs, I don't even own photoshop or illustrator, I used pen and paper, scanned it into my computer and uploaded to My Fabric Designs.  If I can do it, anyone can do it!
As I mentioned earlier, I wanted the top fabrics for backing...I'll show them to you a little later, but I used the fruit fabric to make some placemats and napkins.  So fun to use something I made.
Both have been washed, and the colors held up really well.  No noticeable fading.

8 comments:

  1. I love it! They turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics; congratulations to you. They are just the right amount of carefree, but remain identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out great; congratulations to you! They are the right mix of carefree design yet remain identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little fruits are adorable! how fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...