Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Pineapple Quilt

 This is another quilt I photographed in The Smoky Mountains. 
I love this quilt, one of my very favorites.  It plays with your eyes.  Almost feels like it's moving. 
Amanda-Jean posted a tutorial, a year or so ago, and I couldn't resist trying it.  I love the pineapple block and this tutorial doesn't use paper piecing!  These blocks are labor intensive, lots of sewing and lots of trimming.  I cannot remember how long each block took to make, but I could really only get one block done per sitting.
I used all scraps and stash, but went with a specific color palette, plums and teals and fuchsias and grass green and orange.  I used this image as my inspiration.
I had the hardest time deciding on a pattern for quilting.  I ended up quilting lines, so they intersected in the middle of the block, and went through every "pineapple".  I also stitched in the ditch around every block.  I'm still not certain I picked the right pattern, I feel like it might need more quilting.  On the plus side, it's a very soft quilt.

Bound in a pink stripe.  Can you see there are two pink stripes?  That was a make-do moment.  (As was the backing, I used larger pieces of orange, green, and fuchsia from my stash!)

Stats:
Pattern:  Pineapple block Tutorial by Amanda Jean (I made 20 blocks--4 x 5) 
Size:  61.5in x 77in (after washing)
Batting:  Warm and White
Fabric:  Stash and scraps.  Background is all low volume.  Binding is mostly Monokeros Stripe Candy by Sara Lawson.

13 comments:

  1. Wow that looks like a lot of work but it turned out beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is lovely! I love your photos and what a fun tough with the similar but different binding fabrics! I would do that on purpose! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I'm going to share on my AQT fb page later today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a beauty! Love the colours- and SO much work! Fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this one Net! I want to come quilt with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are gorgeous! I had a quick snoop around your blog and the quilts are all amazing and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, the Pineapple quilt is on my bucket list.
    I love how scrappy you have made this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your Pineapplequilt!

    Dollandesign

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! Ever since you posted this, I've been trying to figure out if there was a way to make this block http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/other/inside-out-pineapple-block/129862?rceId=1453479036796~w9cyc6yc without paper piecing. I don't think it can be done though : / sigh.
    Happy quilting ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous! But I love every one you make :) you are such an inspiration, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks labor intensive! and really amazing. what a great version of the pineapple pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I figured out the inside out pineapple block!!!! Your mountain majesties quilt was instrumental in the process :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...