Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Product Review: Rotary Blade Sharpener

I have always wondered if a product exists to sharpen rotary cutter blades, but had never really looked into it or researched the options out there.   So, when I was given the opportunity to review a sharpener and share my thoughts with you all here, I was eager to try it out.  

The sharpener is made by USA Sharpeners and is designed specifically for rotary cutters that we use in almost every quilt/sewing project.  

To sharpen a blade using the Orbital Rotary Cutter Blade Sharpener, remove the cover from the sharpener, remove the blade from your cutter (can be 45mm or 60mm), place the blade on the spindle (be careful!), put a few drops of oil on the blade, replace cover with appropriate grinder (there are two--fine and coarse), then sharpen the blade by rotating the wheel.

It really is very easy, but does take a little practice to get the right touch.  Admittedly, the first time I sharpened my blade I didn't do a great job...it was fine, but not great.  There were some unsharpened spots, so my fabric wasn't cutting smoothly. 
So I tried again using a firmer pressure and it worked much better.  There is definitely a learning curve, but it wasn't difficult to get the hang of.  

So, my thoughts on the product:  
I love that I can reuse expensive blades, I don't think it's the same as a brand new factory sharpened blade, and I did feel that the resharpened blade went dull quicker than a new one, but it prolonged the use of my blade, and ultimately that will save me money.

I was pleased with the safety of the product.  The scariest part is transferring the blade from your cutter to the sharpener.  Be careful, we all know the blades are sharp...but once it's on the spindle, it's very safe.

It's simple to use.  I will save the instructions, because I know that I'll forget what I am doing and need to reference them, but it's a pretty simple task.  (you can also download instructions on their website, there is also a video).

Overall it's a great product, I recommend it.  If you have questions, leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. In a Craftsy class, the teacher discussed sharpening blades.

    I think the secret is to sharpen them far more often than you think is necessary - aka keep them sharp, rather than trying to get them to be sharp again.

    Sharpen it after every cutting session.

    Also if you nick the blade - on a pin or something - forget about trying to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally use the carpet blades from Harbor Freight instead http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-carpet-cutter-replacement-blades-97642.html - they are $2 for 2 blades and they work great. I admit that you get a bad one once in a while with a nick already in the blades, but at $1 each, its worth the risk. They last almost as long as the expensive blades. I can change them out much more often because they are cheap and still save money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been curious about getting a rotary blade sharpener. How much does this sharpener retail for? Wondering if it is worth getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I didn't know that this tool existed! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info. I've wondered about blade sharpeners. I'd like to keep my blades going a little longer. Sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...