Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Bonne Maman Quilt

I'm just getting around to showing some of my Christmas projects.  This was a Christmas quilt I made for my brothers family for Christmas.  I grew up in a big family, so we have always rotated who we give gifts to.  I'm starting to feel a little unoriginal giving quilts.  I guess as long as I'm not disappointing anyone, I'm okay with unoriginal.  
I cannot remember where I first saw this pattern, but I loved it.   It's called Bonne Maman, which means grandma in French--(I just learned that).  It was inspired by the crocheted granny squares.  
I was going for a Christmas quilt, but I wasn't sure if it was totally clear, so I used this cute tree print to  make sure there was no confusion.

I quilted with loopy cursive e's or l's.  I do like quilting this pattern, it's pretty easy and flows so well.  Plus, you end up with a pretty soft and crinkly quilt once it's washed.

Candy cane stripe binding also makes it more Christmas-y.

14 comments:

  1. It's fabulous! The block is great and made a nice quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that block before, but I like it. I wouldn't worry about the original gift part until each family has at least two:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had seen every quilt block out there but that's a new one to me. It would make a great pattern for using up scraps. Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen that block either. Anyone who thinks you are unoriginal in giving a quilt needs a good smack in the head! a quilt is such a precious gift. Good think you included the Christmas tree fabric, it was not completely obvious to me that is was a Christmas quilt. I would use it year round... Lovely quilt, lucky brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. verry nice!! (the cute tree fabric ~ what is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be my wildest dream come true, to be given a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful finish! I love Christmas quilts that are more subtly Christmas so that they are not completely red and green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I love the quilting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I chuckled at your "I feel unoriginal giving quilts" confession. I feel that way, too, about giving handmades. No one has ever complained though, so I guess unoriginal is appreciated?

    Your quilt is beautiful; I love how it's simple and lovely. The binding is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE it! I'm having a hard time putting it away till next Christmas. We are going to enjoy it for awhile and next year we will try to put it away after Christmas! Its amazing and thank you again!!! And I won't EVER be tired of getting a quilt for Christmas, so just plan on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt! Such a pretty pattern and looks very cozy and soft.

    Do you wash your fabrics before quilting, or wait until the quilt is finished? I use cotton batting, but still can't seem to get that comfy, scrunchy look of well-washed quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi mardee, I never wash fabric, and use cotton batting. I'm not sure why they don't feel soft and snuggly. You seem to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...