Tuesday, October 21, 2014

teepee quilt

My daughter just finished up a unit in school on Native Americans, so this quilt naturally looks like a teepee city. I had no reason for making this baby size quilt, I pulled fabric and just started cutting triangles. I wanted to do an isosceles triangle this time instead of equilateral (here and here), and I like them both. The equilateral is definitely easier to cut out (with a ruler). To cut the isosceles triangles I used this ruler.
I never really know how to quilt triangle quilts, I always feel like they need some curves, but I still want the triangles to be the star.  
I decided to do wavy lines, about 1/2-1 inch apart.  They work great, gives it texture, but still soft.
 Words for binding.  I debated binding for several days, and then finally went for it with this text-y print and I think I love it.  I thought it might be too much contrast with the cream next to the grey/black, but it works.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the binding and the quilting. :)
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes no reason is the best reason. I love this quilt. It's so very pretty ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your quilts and often have to pop by to look at the old ones again. This is lovely! I am planning an equilateral triangle quilt but have been put off starting it because I'm sick of just outlining blocks with straight line quilting. Your wavy lines look fabulous, such a good idea. (I am not a robot!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet and I totally like the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish. I love how the quilting gives such texture to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt! The quilting and the binding are right on. Text on bindings feels sort of like wrapping a gift with newspaper. It reminds me of my daddy and of being resourceful. Anyways, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one--especially the binding. You chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt! The text-y print was a great choice for the binding :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...