Tuesday, May 20, 2014

girlie pow wow

It's MAY!  Holy cow, this year has just flown by.  My kids have 2+ weeks left of school, and we are all feeling the itch to be done...I love when my kids are in school, and I love having them home in the summer.  The seasons seem to change right when you need them to.
Okay, I think this is my last pow wow quilt for a while...not forever, but for now.  I've mentioned many times before how much I love this pattern.  It just goes together so fast.

Color inspiration came from the backing fabric.  Orange, pink, yellow and a tiny bit of blue-ish green.

I didn't get a great picture of the quilting, but it's quilted in flowers (you can see better here).  It gives the quilt a nice crinkly look, but still soft.  I didn't quilt my flowers very dense--I like to keep my baby quilts soft.  Less quilting, usually results in softer quilts.

I started out with piecing the blocks with a white fabric I had on hand, ran out, so purchased some Kona Snow from Hobby Lobby, got home, made a few more blocks and realized they are different whites.  I have no idea where the brighter white came from, I'm a Kona Snow purist, but rather than pretend like I didn't do it, I added in a few polka dot pieces to make it look planned.  A happy accident, and I actually love the effect, it's very subtle.



previous pow wow posts here, here and here.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, so cute. If my baby weren't due in a week, I'd go ahead and start one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very sweet! What is the backing fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt! A pow wow for my sons bed is on my quilting list :) you've inspired me to get moving on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty, Nettie - so gorgeous and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a pretty quilt! I have had a similar experience with 'whites' but just went with it! When it was finished it was barely noticeable- and then only by me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors! You do know how to rock this design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!! I love the fabric choices, they are PERFECTION :) Great job! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Great colors. It has a such a vintage vibe to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty piece - so cozy, it looks like you could just crawl in and stay put! Kona Snow is my fav too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fresh, light, and bright spring and summer colours. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, I love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love and love this quilt ! May I ask what is the name of the backing Fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heather, It is by Leah Duncan (for Art Gallery). I don't remember the name, but it is in her Meadow line. It came out a year or so ago, so I'm not sure what the availability of it its, but I would guess it is still out there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...