Monday, November 10, 2014

Kaleidograph


Have you guys seen this new Kaleidograph Toy?  It was new to me, but once I started playing around with it, I'm hooked.  Basically you have different cards, all with different shapes and colors, and you stack them to create patterns.  (it also comes in black and white, which would be very cool too).

I love this sort of toy.  My daughter and I started playing around with them and we couldn't wait to share our creations.   We took pictures of some of our favorites.
  So, I had to make one into a quilt block...I sat down with my graphing notebook and started sketching and calculating, and honestly it made my brain hurt.  I put it aside for a few days and decided to just go for it.  Improv-style.  No planning--and it worked!  It's not an exact match, but I like it that way.  I'm not good enough for an exact match.  

Here's my block:
 Here's my inspiration:  
 What do you think?  I can see a few places I wish I would've used green...but I love that it got my juices flowing.  I would love to do a whole sampler quilt from these creations.

find it here.

5 comments:

  1. Great sorce of inspiration! I like your block, even if it is not a 100% match, which is fine In my opinion, but you can still recognize what it was inspired by.
    I was also thinking about what could be done to get it closer without getting too complicated, but couldn't really figure anything out :)
    Making a quilt inspired by those kaleidoscopes is definitely a great idea - looking forward to seeing it evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so-o-o-o going on my Christmas List! Thanks for sharing. And the block you made with it is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That block is magnificent! I love the soft colours, and the way it still echoes the kaliedescope feeling of the original image, even though it's a little different. This would look fantastic in a quilt, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. What a great inspiration tool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so cool, I just sent a set to my nephew for his birthday. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...